Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chapter 1 (continued)

It was one of those things they told you, and you pretended to believe it, and they pretended to accept it as a perfectly reasonable thing.  Sister Claire Ellen was a little bit put out when I asked her where we could go to see this amazing sideshow.  But then I remembered the relic factory and answered my own question.  

I believed every single word of what the nuns told me back then.  I never questioned any of it until I went to see a movie at the Cozy Theatre in Louisville.  Mom took all of us one Sunday.  It was a very big deal.  It was the first time I ever saw a movie and it was the only time my Dad bought us anything from the concession stand.  I got some Milk Duds.  Awesome.  The movie was Peter Pan and it was preceded by Song of the South.  The first movie bored me so I got up and walked around outside the theater in the lobby.  There was a huge glass wall and you could stand there and watch the movie through the glass.  I wiled the time away until I saw the feature start and I bolted into the theater.  

This was magic to me.  I had never seen a cartoon in color and this was just too awesome to describe.  As Peter flew into the room I nearly came out of my seat.  But when Tinkerbell sprinkled the pixie dust on everybody I was ecstatic.  As they lifted off of the bed I felt as if I too were flying.  Later in the movie I joined everyone when it came time to clap for Tinkerbell.  I am not sure I remember it correctly or if the clapping is only in the play.  But I was really impressed with that clapping thing.

“If you believe in magic, then clap your hands!”  
“Of course I do?”  I said to myself.  “Doesn’t everybody?”
“If you believe in magic, then CLAP your hands!”  
“I just did!  Didn’t everybody? Come on everybody!  Clap your hands for crying out loud!  Tinkerbell is gonna die if you don’t get off your hands and clap like a maniac!”

I looked over at Dad and noticed he was the only one not clapping.  What in the name of God was wrong with him?  

“Come on, Dad!  Clap your hands!”  I finally said it out loud.

Dad looked at me and laughed.  

“Jesus Christ, man.  Have you no decency?”  I wanted to say.  But I was too wrapped up in the moment and I began to cry.  I turned to Mom as the suspense built.  

“What’s the matter, Honey?” she said, half laughing as she clapped like mad.

“Dad won’t clap!  Tell him to clap!”  

Then both of them started laughing and thankfully, Dad finally started clapping.  Whew!  Tragedy averted!  Tink comes back to life.  God is good.  Mom will surely have a talk with Dad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment