Monday, May 13, 2013

When James Earl Ray escaped from prison, I was sent to cover the story.  There were a few dozen of us from all over the world.  It was a crowded mass of reporters and photographers laden with film cameras, tape recorders and harsh camera lights.  Nothing like the hundreds who would cover the event in modern times.  By that standard it was a small group of locals and a few national people.  I was struck by the nonchalance of all the crews.  I was not used to being around such a big story but soon I learned to dial back the sense of urgency and go with the flow. 

Every one was chasing rumors, often created by the journalists about how he escaped and where he was headed.  Every now and then a prison spokesman would walk to the makeshift podium and fill us in on the latest.  There just wasn't much news.  So as the afternoon sweltered into the night, we all found a way to get comfortable.  It was a nervous wait.  I kept my camera next to my leg and my battery pack in stand by.  As the night wore on, it began to rain.  And that was exactly what the trackers were waiting for.  Now the dogs could go to work.  We heard them wail as they ran down the road away from us.  Some tried to follow but the police were quick to halt them and we were resigned to the fact that we were not going to be allowed on the hunt. 

I sat down next to a journalist from somewhere north of New York and we started to talk.  I soon learned that she was a very bright girl who was looking to get laid.  So I shared my room number with her knowing that I would be relieved in a few hours.  My attention shifted from covering the story to watching the clock, waiting idly for my relief. 

In a few hours, we gathered again and the warden gave us encouraging news.  The rain had made it possible to pick up a strong trail and the dogs were making great progress.  It was believed that they would find Ray within the hour and it would all be over soon.   I peered over at my pretty young reporter and smiled.  She looked away, feigning indifference, as if she was too wrapped up in covering the news conference to notice me.  I took the rebuff in stride and turned my attention back to the presser.  After a few minutes, they finished and we quickly dispersed, settling back into the waiting routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment