Saturday, September 8, 2012


"Business Friendly"

When my bank accused me of missing a house payment it took me six months to prove they were wrong. They eventually charged me penalties and interest even though I proved that it was a banking error that caused the problem. At no point did the mortgage bank attempt to get to the bottom of the problem. It was my home bank that ultimately resolved the issue. The loan bank acted like it had no interest in resolving the issue even though they are receiving tens of thousands of dollars in interest payments to service that loan. So when I heard that Republicans were trying to block the establishment of a banking consumer protection agency, I had an epiphany.

When it comes to banks, there is more than meets the eye in the Republican definition of the phrase “business friendly.” If you pass regulation to limit the risk to small investors you are not business friendly. If you enforce regulations aimed at keeping Wall Street from swindling its clients you are not business friendly. If you make the small print bigger and more clear, you are not business friendly.

It is not enough to pass legislation aimed at getting SMALL business back up and running. You have to keep the big boys happy if you want to be considered “business friendly.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment